In the effort to broaden my horizons, as well as up the ante on my health and wellness, I attended a cooking class this afternoon.
This happened to be out of the ordinary for me, as I am rubbish at cooking or anything having to do with the kitchen. But, it’s a new year and a new me (maybe). The class was offered by the Cancer Support Community- Arizona and was led by Chef, NY Times Bestselling Author and vegan genius, Jason Wyrick.
Over the years I have been an on and off again vegitarian and have always had an interesting and psychological relationship with food. Nowadays, I often lack much of an appetite and when I do, it’s usually all of the terrible foods as opposed to the proper, nutritious meals that my stomach can handle due to my colon cancer.
Prior to today, I had zero knowledge of Chef Jason, or the benefits that a vegan diet can bring. This class was specifically built around fighting fatigue and understanding on a high level how to retrain your palette to the different compounds within organic foods, as well as the antioxidants and super foods that are best to boost your energy. Seemingly, all of the things that I am clueless about, yet happened to find incredibly interesting and eye opening after today’s course and the three recipes that Chef Jason shared. Delectable and mouthwatering seems like a cheap shot, considering just how appetizing and healthy his recipes were.
Here are the vegan soup recipes that Chef Jason shared. I hope you enjoy as much as I did!
Green Tea and Shiitake Noodles
- 2 to 3 cups of brewed green tea
- Salt to taste
- A sprinkle of five spice (Cinnamon, Black Pepper, Fennel, Cloves and Sichuan Peppercorn)
- 8 to 10 small shiitakes, sliced
- 1 small package of ramen, udon noodles, or thick rice noodles
- Cubed extra firm tofu
- Keep brewed tea warm and add the slat, five spice, and sliced shiitakes
- Bring to gentle simmer and add noodles, cubed tofu and cook noodles al dente.
Chilmole with Sweet Potatoes and Beans
- 4 to 6 guajillo chiles, toasted and rehydrated
- 3 cups of water
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 1/2 cup of masa harina
- 1 and 1/2 cups of rinsed beans
- 2 cups of spinach
- Puree chiles and water, transferring to a pot
- Add pinch of cinnamon and salt to taste
- Bring to simmer then add sweet potato until al dente
- Slowly whisk the masa in until the soup thickens
- Add beans, spinach and serve
Avocado Roasted Garlic Soup
- 1/4 cup of roasted garlic cloves
- 2 large avocados
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 and 1/2 cups of water
- Puree all ingredients
- Serve room temperature
Be sure to check out Chef Jason Wyrick and sign up for free recipes, videos and tips to a healthy vegan diet at www.thevegantaste.com!
Love and yum,